Last week, we discussed the power of a little bit of white powder!
This week, we will go over another "everyday cleaning" item that can be made naturally--chemical free and probably less expensive than the other stuff.
Now - this natural cleaner is near and dear to my heart. I am what you may call a lazy cleaner... I would use windex for everything. Evvvvverrryyyything. But - to my dismay, the harmful effects of this cleaner can not be ignored. Ammonia... yuck.
But no fear! This easy & natural cleaner is inexpensive and won’t harm you or your loved ones.
- Orange peels (No need to be picky - as long as they contain citrus!)
- Distilled white vinegar
- Airtight GLASS container (yes - glass!)
- Spray bottle
- Measuring cup
- Strainer or colander
- Collect your orange peels and stuff your glass container full to the top!
- Cover the peels with white vinegar
- Here’s the hard part... date your jar with a sharpie & wait two weeks! When they are ready, the vinegar should have a strong citrus odor & will be a yellowish color.
- 2 weeks later - strain the peels using your strainer or colander.
- Dilute your mixture using water & your measuring cup. (Most prefer a 1:1 ratio)
- Pour into your spray bottle & throw your windex in the garbage!
But wait! What will you use to clean glass you say? Never fear - our homemade glass cleaner is here!
DIY Glass Cleaner:
Toothpaste gunk, hair product... you name it, my mirror has seen it. Windex has never failed me... until i discovered this. Streak free, shiny glass is in your future... and more importantly, you will never need smell ammonia again!
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups warm water
- Combine everything in a spray bottle & shake, shake, shake! The cornstarch may land in the bottom & it may also plug your spray bottle if not mixed in well.
- Thats it! Ensure to shake very well before each use.
As you can see, there are many items we have in our home that can easily help us out when it comes to cleaning naturally. So - before you reach for your toxic cleaners, take a closer look and see what you come up with!